Monday, February 13, 2012

Movies for romance

It's rare for any two people to really agree on what is a great romantic movie, though some favorites come to mind: The Notebook, Casa Blanca, Titanic and Gone With the Wind.

If I'm honest, I don't remember feeling the romance of Casa Blanca or Gone With the Wind. Maybe I was too young when I saw those films. I may need to see them again. But honestly I just don't think they resonated with me.

However, I have a soft place in my heart for The Notebook. Love that one. Titanic isn't bad, either. And I can't forget the Franco Zeffirelli version of Romeo & Juliet. Swoon worthy! My husband says I should add West Side Story, but it's just OK to me.

I also love snuggling up to Fools Rush In, Ghost, The Princess Bride or When Harry Met Sally. Guess I like some laughs with my romance. I also found myself really liking Nights in Rodanthe, with Richard Gere and Diane Lane, and Moulin Rouge, with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. Even Can't Buy Me Love, with Patrick Dempsey, would do on Valentine's Day. This isn't the most romantic, but does remind me of young love. Pretty in Pink does that, too.

Guess I've had romance on the brain. I'm been on a kick picking up movies with romantic themes. Recent movies include Pride & Prejudice, with Keira Knightley, and The Lake House, with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Neither made me swoon.

I hoped The Vow, in theaters now, would fill my heart with love. It didn't. It was OK, just not so great when you hear the real story that inspired the movie. As for recent movies, I did like Crazy, Stupid, Love. Can't think of another.

I just picked up Love Actually. I've never seen it, but many have it on their top romantic movies list. I'm hoping it will be good enough to watch again with my hubby, a glass of champagne and some strawberries, when we decide to celebrate Valentine's Day on Saturday. Yep, not Tuesday.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment