Friday, February 10, 2012

"The Vow" disappoints; true story more inspiring

I wanted to love "The Vow." Part of me thinks it's because Valentine's Day is around the corner, and I love stories that make my heart flutter. And part of it is because it's based on a true story.

I read a few articles about the couple, Kim and Krickitt Carpenter, who were the inspiration for the movie "The Vow." These articles, including one in the Los Angeles Times, had me thinking the movie could be another "The Notebook"-style tearjerker filled with romance and deep love for another. It's not. Far from it. It's a mediocre Hollywood-altered love story. I did like Rachel McAdams, but it was just OK. I'm sure some will love it. However, I'm thinking they'll love it more for checking out Channing Tatum's fit body — butt shot included — and the idea that there's still romance somewhere.



In the movie, Paige and Leo (the Hollywood names) are newly married and happy. Then their car is struck and she can't remember the past five years of her life. She reconnects with her estranged family and becomes increasingly distant from the man she married. But Leo won't give up on their love despite complications.

Sounds good. But watching it, I never felt chemistry between the characters. Maybe it's Tatum that never convinced me of his character's undying love. Also, the Hollywood story seemed way too sensationalized. It all kept me from enjoying the movie. The true story of a man who essentially lost his new wife in a car wreck and then made her fall in love with him again exudes romance. His story of faith even when she couldn't remember their lives together made my heart open up to their story. I wanted that story, but I didn't get it.

My grade: C-.

"The Vow" is rated PG-13, for an accident scene, sexual content, partial nudity and some language. If you take kids, you should know that the car wreck and hospital scene may be a little graphic even if there isn't much blood. It's a love story, so there is sexual innuendo and sexy scenes, including a man's posterior and a woman in her underwear. There's discussion of an affair that happened in the past and a married character attempts to ignite a love connection from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment