Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Arthur Christmas, The Muppets and Hugo...oh and Happy Feet Two

These family movies opened just in time for Thanksgiving. You'll likely to catch them through the end of the year. "The Muppets" and "Hugo" were very good, but Muppets ruled. "Arthur Christmas" was a sweet and sometimes funny holiday story, and well, I didn't care for "Happy Feet Two." I did like Pink's singing, though.
More thoughts:

"Arthur Christmas" (PG) - I know, another Christmas movie. This one isn't bad. But I didn't think it was great either. If you're tight on money, well, it won't be hurt to wait to see this one. There are funny moments as Arthur, grand Santa and a wrapping-obsessed elf go on a journey to get the one gift Santa forgot to deliver before a questioning child gets disappointed. But I felt much of the movies humor will be lost on kids. It was on the three girls, ages 10 and 11, that I brought with me. But they all thought it was sweet and good for getting into the Christmas spirit. C

Things to know: If you have little ones, a scene where some animals are ready to attack may startle. But there is levity in this scene, too. Kids may also worry about some dangerous situations (erratic sled ride, lost at sea, stranded on beach) Arthur and company get into trying to delivery the forgotten gift.

"The Muppets" (PG)- It was cheesy, but it was done so well that I was rolling with laughter in my seat. So many jokes paying homage to the past shows, but you may feel like it's a bit of a Disney commercial. Best scene in my humble opinion was the "Man or Muppet" song. Reminded me of musical comedy of Flight of the Conchords, so I had to look. Yes, one half of the duo, Bret McKenzie, wrote it. My daughter loved scenes such as Kermit's first appearance, as if it were heaven sent, and Miss Piggy fretting over what doughnut to eat first. We enjoyed playing spot the celebrity cameo and left the theater happy, happy, happy. B+

What you should know: Chris Cooper plays a bad guy, and there are some Muppet thugs working for him. But in classic Disney style, all ends well for the good. A fight breaks out during an anger management class. A character blows up his business. A character is kidnapped and forced to perform in a show.

"Hugo" (PG) - I saw this in 3D this past weekend. The reviews were fantastic, so I had to see it. I was beautifully framed and the sets were amazing. The story was good, too, about a curious orphaned boy searching for a message his father may have left in an automatron he was fixing. It leads him to uncover a mystery about an aloof man's past, all with a happy ending. But I felt it was too drawn out. It's 2 hours and 6 minutes, and for that reason I give it a B-.

What you should know: Hugo is orphaned; his father's death isn't graphic, but you do see explosive fire before the scene cuts. His uncle is a drunk and not very nice. Other characters (toy store owner, train station guard) aren't very nice to Hugo, too, and may appear scary to young children. Perilous scenes with a train coming off it's tracks and on the clock tower as well as Hugo's transformation into a mechanical boy in a dream may be upsetting.

"Happy Feet Two"
(PG) - I wanted to leave the theater soon after this follow up to Happy Feet started. Guess I have no patience for baby-talking penguins. A side story of two krill looking for more out of life was amusing at times, but really only seemed a way to get Matt Damon and Brad Pitt speaking roles that just made the movie longer. I was not happy. My husband called me a Grinch. Fine! D

What you should know: The krill story may open some discussion about how can two males start a family. It's very subtle, though. Little ones may be frightened by the predatory birds, leopard seal chasing a penguin and the confrontation between penguin and elephant seals.

No comments:

Post a Comment