Thursday, May 17, 2012

Battleship sinks

My son has been talking about Battleship (Taylor Kitsch, Alexander Skarsgard, Brooklyn Decker) for weeks. When I left the screening, I was disappointed and sleepy. But at the same time, I know my son and the main demographic this movie is marketed to will be happy with it. What I think won't matter.

The trailer:

It's loud and heavy on special effects. Boys will love that. And the script is slightly better than the Transformer sequels. I kept thinking of those as I watched. I didn't care for those.

There are some funny parts, too. Getting Tased in order to get a chicken burrito to impress a girl...you know that will have guys laughing. But my mind kept drifting to the time and what I could be doing instead of watching Battleship.

The story is ridiculous, but the main feature are the ships and alien machinery. Explosions make you forget, right? Toss in a bit of patriotism, so you can't totally hate it without feeling guilty. You gotta love guys who serve our country, especially those retired helping the young guns kick some alien butt. How dare I not love it? I did like the celebration of military in the film; but it just wasn't enough.

Rated PG-13 for for intense sequences of violence, action and destruction, and for language. My grade: D.

No comments:

Post a Comment